Experience Melbourne Like a Local
Whenever you travel to a new city the best way to see it is like the locals! Here are some tips to see Melbourne just as the locals do.
- While Eureka Sky deck is a fantastic way to see Melbourne, to experience the most beautiful view of Melbourne as a local go to the Sofitel Hotel on Collins Street. Head up to Level 35 and what awaits you is delicious food, amazing cocktails and a view to die for. The bathrooms have the most exquisite view over Melbourne as the sun goes down, and is affectionately known to Melburnians as ‘the loo with a view.
- It’s no secret that Melbournians are a little obsessed with sport and to come to this great city and not see a game of their most beloved sport AFL, or footy would be a crime. Head down to the MCG, grab yourself a meat pie and get behind a team.
- See the fairy penguins the Melbourne way. When Melburnians want to see the fairy penguins they don’t drive all the way down to Philip Island, they take the tram to St Kilda Beach. There are volunteers down by the pier who will answer any questions you might have and you should see around 15 penguins making their way home after a big day of fishing at sea.
- Melbournians love food… but they also love a bargain! A food institution in Melbourne is Bimbo’s Deluxe! Located in one of Melbourne’s trendiest suburbs Fitzroy, Bimbo Deluxe offers $4.00 pizzas at different times through the day and Sunday ALL DAY.
- Keeping fit and healthy is part of the Australian lifestyle. To fit in with Melburnians put on your runners and go for a run around the Tan.
- Go to Cinema Nova on a Monday. We all love to go to a movie and one of the best cinemas is Cinema Nova on the Italian food precinct Lygon Street! See a movie for $7 before 4pm and $9 for movies after 4pm. A delicious Italian meal and a cheap movie is how Melburnians do date night.
- Do NOT go to Starbucks! Melbourne is famous for its coffee and baristas are treated with absolute respect. Wonder down Degraves Street and try a latte at each of the different coffee shops, guaranteed you will find your favourite coffee here in Melbourne.
- Live music is a huge part of Melbourne culture and to see some great local music jump on the number 86 tram and travel down to Northcote to the Northcote Social Club. The Northcote Social Club also has a great menu and beer garden and is a great way to spend your Sunday.
- See the city the way the local do, by bike. Thousands of Melburnians use bicycles as their mode of transport and you can easily join them. There are Bike Hire places set up all over Melbourne costing as little as $2 for 60 minutes hire.
- Pick up a Melbourne City Street Art Map and take a self-guided tour of the best street art in Melbourne. Melburnians are very proud of their street art and you will see lots of locals taking photos of the street art.
For information on travelling to Melbourne or any other destination call us on 1300 360 809 or email email@example.com for a no obligation chat with one of our friendly consultants.